Calgary or Sacramento or Minneapolis
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that accomplishes operational excellence. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our 22,000 team members in over 350 locations worldwide are vital to making our company stronger.
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Reporting to the Director of Public Relations, Public Relations Manager, Environmental Services (ES) is part journalist, part storyteller, part communications counselor. The position plays a key role in building brand awareness, and for the company’s 3,400-plus person ES Practice while driving the general function of public relations counsel to leaders. Working in tandem with ES marketing team members, the Public Relations Manager provides vital support in identifying, generating, and disseminating messaging, stories, and insight from practitioners and team counterparts for a variety of external and internal platforms, including social media, traditional media, and the company’s internal and external websites. The Public Relations Manager also serves as an important figure in proactively training, coordinating, and counseling professionals through media opportunities.
Your Key Responsibilities:
Digital Content Support & Administration
- The Public Relations Manager works closely with extended Environmental Services Marketing teams, and practitioners to gather materials and content for use on the company’s various social media platforms, including the Stantec blog, stantec.com, internal Community Sites, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google, and LinkedIn. Examples of recent content include: Ecosystem Restoration campaign, eDNA Global, Remote Sensing Thought Leadership, PFAS Thought Leadership
Brand Support – Copywriting & Editing
- Strong story-telling and writing skills are essential for this role. The Public Relations Manager is a champion of the Stantec brand and an expert in implementing Stantec’s branded voice and Style Guide. The Public Relations Manager develops dynamic content for the company’s internal websites and all external media, including social and traditional. The individual also tailors and edits existing content for external communications channels.
- As part of the centralized Public Relations Team, this individual embraces a collaborative work environment and regularly meets with the Director of Public Relations and Regional Public Relations Managers to discuss priorities, assignments, and progress toward long-term goals. The Public Relations Manager participates in larger Public Relations and Digital team meetings to discuss initiatives and contribute to brainstorm sessions for story and promotional campaign development and content marketing strategies.
Media Relations & Research
- The Public Relations Manager fosters and grows relationships with members of business and industry media at the national level. Working with the Director of Marketing & Business Development, Environmental Services; Regional Public Relations Managers; and practice leaders, the individual will also identify, research, and develop targeted media materials (e.g., news releases, story pitches, etc.), as well as using database platforms to maintain industry media lists for media outreach. Additionally, the Public Relations Manager will proactively contact media members to communicate pertinent messages while diligently using tools to monitor, measure, and report on the Environmental Services media presence.
Counsellor to Leadership
- The Public Relations Manager works closely with the Environmental Services Leadership and Director of Marketing to stay apprised of the top business priorities to drive growth and marketplace presence. The Public Relations Manager will spearhead corporate programs and staff training for social media fluency, media/interview preparedness, and crisis communications across the practice.
Your Capabilities & Credentials
- Demonstrated experience with crisis communication, campaign planning and facilitation, social media strategy and administration
- Strong professional writing skills (samples required)
- Detail-oriented and organized, with exceptional prioritization skills
- Ability to effectively balance multiple priorities
- Fundamental understanding of the media landscape (traditional, social)
- Excellent interviewing, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment, as well as to work autonomously
- Familiarity with photography and video preferred
- Ability to quickly establish credibility with multiple audiences and articulate clearly within tight deadlines
- Strategic mindset and strong business acumen
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, English, journalism, or marketing.
- Minimum 6 to 9 years of public relations experience in corporate or agency preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Marketing and PR/Communications Professional
Primary Location: United States-Minnesota-Minneapolis
Other Locations: United States-California-Sacramento
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 210000SZ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans.